Have you ever heard the saying, dress for the job you want, not the job you have? Dressing for success can help you make an awesome first impression and get your dream job, but how exactly do you do this?
Anytime you meet someone new, they begin to evaluate and make assumptions about you based on your appearance, even before you have said a word. Everything from the clothes you’re wearing to the hairstyle you’re rocking contributes to how people perceive you.
So how exactly do you dress for success to make a great impression on everyone you meet? Check out our tips below to find out!
Dress for the Company Culture
Company cultures and dress codes can vary greatly from one business to another. Because every business is unique, it’s best to align yourself with the culture and dress of each business anytime you’re meeting or interviewing with them. For example, banking is a more traditional industry with formal dress codes, so if you are interviewing with a bank, always wear a suit. This will show your professionalism and that you are a good fit for the company.
Before attending a meeting with a company, do your homework to find out what dress code they follow, so you can be prepared and confident! The most common dress codes companies use today are:
- Business formal – This is the most formal professional dress and commonly found in this dress code are dark colors, formal suits, button-up shirts, solid color ties, and dress shoes.
- Business professional – In this dress code, you can add more color to your looks, including items like dress pants, professional skirts, sports jackets, ties with patterns, and nice shirts.
- Business casual – Now you can begin to add more personality to your attire, including shirts with colors and patterns, different colored skirts, khakis, polos, vests, and sweaters.
- Casual – This dress code is the most informal and allows for many different dress options, including t-shirts, jeans, skirts, sweaters, sandals, and sneakers.
Regardless of what dress code a company follows, it’s best to always dress up for meetings and interviews because this shows your professionalism and helps you make a great first impression.
Dress for the Specific Event
Dressing for success when attending career events is essential for making a lasting impression. For example, when going to a job interview, looking your professional best can give you an advantage over other candidates. Choosing clothing that is business professional, not wearing excessive jewelry or fragrance, and ensuring your hairstyle is clean and neat are all great tips for job interviews. When you only get one chance to make an awesome first impression, you have to make it count!
In the digital world of today, video interviews with programs like Skype are common. Dressing up and looking your professional best is necessary for video interviews because the person will still be able to see your appearance.
Networking events and career fairs require you to dress professionally as well. Always do your best to make a great first impression because the people you meet at these events could be hiring directly, have an influence on the hiring decisions at their company, or could even refer you to other opportunities.
Dress for Success Tips
If you’re a student or new graduate, dressing for success can come with some challenges. You may not currently have many professional clothes, or you could be unsure about what is acceptable in the workplace. Here are our top tips to help you get started:
- Buy clothes that you can wear in many different ways.
- Complex patterns can be distracting, so choose more solid colors.
- Ensure that you’re wearing clothing that is appropriate for work.
- Keep jewelry to a minimum by wearing only your favorite piece.
- You want people to be focused on what you have to offer, so cover tattoos and piercings, as they can be distracting.
- Keep your hair clean and professional.
- Some people are allergic to perfume or cologne, so don’t wear too much.
- Choose makeup looks that are natural and professional.
If you’re ever confused about how to dress for success, remember this Oscar Wilde quote: “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.”
Put Your Career On The Fast Track
You’re now ready to dress for success and make a great first impression when meeting someone new!
At United Career Institute, we believe in encouraging and empowering students to reach their full potential and succeed in their careers. Put your dream career on the fast track with programs in Medical Assisting and Medical Office Administration. Request information now to get started today!